What is morro?
The morro seed comes from the tree of the same name, also known as jibaro. This tree grows in dry climates and gives round and hard fruits, it is the seeds of this fruit that are used in the preparation of the horchata de morro.
What are the benefits of horchata de morro?
With such a concentration of seeds and grains, horchata de morro is a healthy, mineral-rich drink. It is rich in vitamins C and E. It is a significant source of magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, iron and potassium.
It also contains antioxidants. It facilitates digestion thanks to its enzymes. In addition, horchata de morro can be made with water and not milk, so it can be consumed without problems by lactose-intolerant people.
- Roast all the ingredients separately, taking care not to burn the rice.
- The roasting time is different from one ingredient to another and can be done in an oven, in a pan or on a hot griddle.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a food processor until obtaining a fine powder.
- It is important to mix them dry (without adding water), as the powder for the horchata can be kept to prepare the drink later and it will last longer because all the ingredients will maintain their natural moisture.
- It is also recommended to keep the ground mixture in an airtight container which will keep the aroma longer.